Suspected Bomb Threats/Safety Precautions
The safety precautions listed below are designed to acquaint tenants with several factors to be considered in the search and discovery of suspected bombs. Do not dismiss any precautions as unimportant or take them for granted. Adequate knowledge of these precautionary provisions may save the lives of employees, visitors and customers.
- Do not use radio equipment to transmit messages.
- Do not turn light switches either off or on.
- Do not smoke or light any matches.
- Do not accept the contents of any container as bona fide just because it was delivered in a generally routine manner; nor should tenants accept container markings and/or appearance as sole evidence of contents.
- Do not touch or change the position of a suspected bomb.
- Do not shake shock or jar a suspected bomb.
- Do not cover or carry a suspected bomb.
- Do not open or cut any strings or cords on any suspicious container or object.
- Do not unscrew, unlatch, unhook or lift the cover off of a suspicious object.
- Do not submerse a suspected bomb in water.
At no time should a bomb threat be ignored or treated as a false alarm. Please follow the instructions below when a bomb threat call is received:
- Keep the caller on the line for as long as possible.
- Tell the caller that the building is occupied and an explosion might cause the death of innocent people.
- Listen for background noises that might help in determining from where the call was made.
- Obtain as much information as possible from the caller:
- Location of the bomb.
- Time of detonation.
- Outside appearance of bomb and type of bomb.
- Reason for planting bomb.
- At the conclusion of the call, immediately report the bomb threat to the Property Management Office and provide the following information:
- Your name
- Your location and phone number
- Name of the "initial incipient"
- Time the call was received
- Name of anyone listening in to the threat
- Name of any employee threatened by the caller
- Normal work location of threatened employee
- Time bomb is supposed to detonate
- Exact location of where the bomb was placed
- Outside appearance and description of the bomb
- Reason given for bomb threat
- Notify your supervisor about the bomb threat call.
- Have all written records or notes of the bomb threat call available for the proper authorities.
- Quickly and thoroughly search your company area for "suspicious, unusual or foreign items" (suspected bombs) and report any findings. Do not under any circumstances touch, move, jar, disturb or cover any suspicious items that are found. Report all findings to the Property Management Office.
- If the Houston Police Department requests evacuation, the Property Management Office will notify building tenants. Identify and give priority to the movement and evacuation of nervous, emotional, ill and/or disabled personnel. Upon evacuation, establish and announce a rendezvous point for employees to regroup. If you decide that your employees and visitors are in imminent danger, exercise your independent judgment and move or evacuate your personnel as soon as possible.
- Please make only necessary phone calls as it is important to maintain open phone lines.
- Following the conclusion of the bomb threat emergency, and for future reference by the Property Manager and Security Director, write a brief report covering actions in response to the emergency including any special problems or incidents encountered and submit it in a timely manner to the Property Management Office. Retain copies of these reports for future organizational reference.
Explosions In & Around Building
Upon receiving notification that an explosionas has occurred; the tenant contact should obtain the following facts:
- Name of person calling
- Location of person calling
- Exact location of explosion
- Cause of explosion if known
- Did explosion cause fire or other imminent danger, and if so what and where? Immediately report the following information to the Property Management Office at 281-875-7800:
- Your name and location
- Your company's name
- Any reasons you have to believe explosion was caused by a bomb
- Extent of casualties and number and type of injuries
Move or evacuate employees and visitors from tenant area if required. Following the conclusion of the situation, and for future reference by the Property Manager and security director, write a brief report covering actions in response to the emergency including any special problems or incidents encountered and submit it in a timely manner to the Property Management Office. Retain copies of these reports for future organizational reference.